top of page
  • What is the difference between an Inspection and a Survey?
    The terms Inspection and Survey tend to be interchangeable, there is a slight difference between the two types of roof or building assessments. Inspections are usually carried out to examine the health and integrity of the building fabric to ensure everything conforms to Current Building Regulations and is fit for purpose. This is normally a requirement for a property purchase, a lease agreement, if there is a legal dispute or for insurance purposes. A Survey is more in depth than an Inspection including carrying out flat roof core samples and measurements with the intention of carrying out a refurbishment project.
  • How often and why should a roof be inspected?
    We recommend all property owners roofs are inspected twice a year. In our experience we have found it to be more beneficial being proactive rather than reactive. By being proactive and preventing potential water damage to the building fabric is far more cost effective and less inconvenient than waiting until something eventually goes wrong. In our opinion the best times of year to inspect a roof and associated roofline products are; after winter around March and before the winter weather sets in around November.
  • Why would I employ the services of a Roofing Surveyor/Consultant when I could just ask a Roofing Contractor to inspect my roof?
    An Independent Roofing Surveyor/Consultant's role is to provide impartial professional advice based on unbiased observations of your roof coverings for an agreed fixed fee and to the best of their abilities. A Roofing Contractor repairs or replaces roof coverings and as such cannot be regarded as unbiased and impartial as there will always be the potential for additional financial gain from roofing works based on their recommendations.
  • Why not just employ the services of an RICS Chartered Building Surveyor to carry out a roof inspection?
    A Chartered Building Surveyor is qualified to inspect and provide condition reports on all components of a building's design including the roof coverings. A Roofing Consultant/Surveyor is a specialist in the field of roofing. We work closely with Chartered Building Surveyors providing our specialist advice and also seek their advice on non-roofing related building issues when required.
  • Should a Roofing Surveyor/Consultant have Public Liability Insurance cover?
    Yes. Even though a surveyor is not actually carrying out 'works' at a property, they should still have adequate Public Liability Insurance cover for when accidents happen. Examples could be; a foot through a ceiling while inspecting a loft space or property is damaged while carrying a ladder.
  • How do you determine which method you will use to inspect/survey a roof or structure?
    When we receive an customer enquiry we initially carry out a desktop feasibility study based on the customer's requirements, building location and design to determine the safest and most cost effective method of carrying out an inspection or survey. The methods we use range from using a drone or telescopic mast camera to the requirement for a general purpose scaffolding to be erected. Using the study results we will provide an estimate for carrying out the inspection or survey.
  • How do you ensure your Inspections and Surveys are carried out safely, minimising the risks to both yourself, property users and the general public?"
    All our site 'work' is carried out in strict accordance with current Health and Safety Executive Regulations. In addition to carrying out a desktop feasibility study, we carry out Risk Assessments and Method Statements for every project to ensure risks are minimised to all parties.
  • What safety measures do your aircraft use to minimise the risks involved during flight?
    Our aircraft utilises the latest technology available to ensure the safest possible flight is achieved with several failsafe systems, sensors to all sides and propeller guards for flying close to structures in case of an unexpected gust of wind.
  • As a CAA Operational Authorisation holder what operating procedures do you use to ensure safe operations?
    In addition to carrying out a desktop feasibility study for every enquiry we receive we also carry out Pre-Site Assessments, On-Site Assessments, Site Sprecific Risk Assessments and Method Statements. Flight Reference Cards and checklists are used before leaving our office and on site to ensure all procedures are carried out and nothing is overlooked to ensure the safest operation possible. Flight data is uploaded after every flight to Airdata UAV for analysis to ensure our drones and batteries are always regularly maintained and safe to fly, all in accordance with our Operations Manual and current CAA Regulations.
  • What are the restrictions for flying a drone with a CAA Operational Authorisation PDRA01?
    The drone must not be flown: Above 400ft from the ground. Further than 500m from the pilot. Over or within 150m of any open-air assembly of more than 1000 persons. Over or within 50m of any person not under the control of the operator. This distance is reduced to 30m during take-off and landing. However, K2 Surveyors currently hold a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) for an Operating Safety Case (OSC) for Reduced Separation Distances while using a multi-rotor drone. This permission allows us to take-off and land as close as 5m and fly as close as 10m from uninvolved People, Vessels, Vehicles and Structures not under the control of the Remote Pilot. This permission and distances allowed is currently only held by approximately 1% of all the CAA Approved SUA Operators in the UK.
  • Does a drone operator require insurance to provide a commercial (paid for) service?
    If an individual or company provide a commercial service using a drone then it is a legal requirement to have adequate public liability insurance. This insurance must be compliant with the regulation EC785/2004.
  • Does a drone operator have to register with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)?
    Anyone responsible for a drone or unmanned aircraft weighing between 250g and 20kg (or under 250g if it has a camera and isn’t a toy) will need to register as an operator. It is also a legal requirement for the operator's to label their drones with their operator ID. Failure to register or label drones could potentially incur a fine up to £1000 and confiscation of equipment on-site.
  • Does the Remote Pilot (person flying a drone) have to pass a test of competency?
    It is a legal requirement for all "flyers" to pass an online theory test and get a flyer ID.
  • Which areas of the UK do you cover?
    We are based in Mirfield, West Yorkshire, which roughly half way between Liverpool and Hull on the M62 Corridor. So our usual area of coverage is the whole of the North of England and the Midlands. However we quite are prepared to travel further afield if requested.
  • Do you have a suitable motor vehicle capable of reaching locations 'off the beaten track'?
    Yes. We have always used a small 4x4 SUV for this reason to minimise our location restrictions. Also, one of the other advantages of being a Commercial Drone Operator is we can easily carry our equipment on foot to locations where our 'off-road' vehicle won't reach and still achieve the same results.
bottom of page